Monday, September 6, 2010

License to Craft


I really believe that creativity, or the desire to be creative, is inherent in most people. Not everyone, however, is a crafter. Creativity comes in many different guises. My mum, for example, didn't think she was creative, but she made the most beautifully decorated cakes and sewed the prettiest dresses for me when I was a little girl. Creativity can be expressed in many different ways: Decorative painting, cake decorating, etc are pretty obvious, but how about things like cooking, or even the way you decorate a room, or write a letter. It's the desire to be creative that leads us to try new things and to search out and learn new techniques.

I have, what I consider to be, quite a number of creative outlets. I enjoy photography, decorative painting, jewelry making and all kinds of paper crafts and I'm always on the lookout for new techniques. I love to "play" and come up with my own techniques too, which is a big part of what I do as a designer in the Arts & Crafts industry. I love the challenge of having to come up with projects that I think others will enjoy. This was always a big part of what I did as a presenter on Shop at Home and HSN and the projects I created to feature on Scrapbook Memories. The obvious goal of Shop at Home and HSN is to sell product, but my job was to show cool projects that could be made with the product, so viewers would be inspired to buy. Scrapbook Memories, of course, is educational with a goal of bringing you new products and techniques.

What is YOUR favourite craft? Have you tried anything new lately? I'd love to hear what you like to do to be creative. Y'all come back now!

Yours truly,
Julie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment