Monday, December 2, 2013

Crafts for the Holidays with Craft Attitude

I've hosted a TV show on scrapbooking for 14 years so it's only natural that people think I'm a scrapbooker, but, truth be told, I simply LOVE ALL KINDS of crafts!  I enjoy the creativity of designing a scrapbook page, but I have to admit that my first love is photography followed closely by decorative painting.  I received my first camera, a Brownie Reflex, at the ripe old age of 11 and I've been snap happy ever since.  I'm always on the look out for new surfaces to print photos on and was totally ecstatic when I saw Craft Attitude at the craft & hobby trade show a couple of years ago.  I came home with treasured samples to "play" with and haven't stopped since.  I was thrilled when Jonathan Fong asked me to create a project for their holiday blog hop.  The hardest part was deciding what to do!  I also love to etch glass so here's a project that incorporates both my love of photography and the magic of etched glass.


These are the supplies you'll need, plus ribbon and a few embellishments - I used deco mesh ribbon and a holiday craft pick.  I took this photo of a Cardinal in our back yard a couple of years ago, so all I had to do was crop it to the size I needed.


The first step is to etch the glass block.  The block is hollow, so instead of etching the outside surface I used dip'n etch, another of my favorite products, from b&b etchall to etch the inside.  Dip'n etch is easy to use and I love the fact that it's REUSABLE!  Gently pour about a 1/4 cup of the dip'n etch liquid into the glass block.  TAKE CARE - this is etching liquid and it will etch any type of smooth surface, so you won't want it to splash onto your granite counter top, porcelain sink, or on the outside of the glass.  The etch is permanent.  Being careful that the liquid doesn't spill out of the opening, gently lay the block onto its side, so the liquid covers the inside flat surface completely.  If you added too much dip'n etch, use something to prop up the open end.

 

BTW, complete directions are on the product so read and follow them carefully.  After 20 mins, I carefully turned the block upright again, then placed it onto its other side to etch that too.

While the glass was etching I printed my photo onto the Décor Attitude film, then cut it to size.  Pour the dip'n etch liquid back into the jar to be used again, then thoroughly rinse and dry the block.  Peel the backing from the Craft Attitude film then place it printed side down onto the glass surface.  If there are words in your photo, don't forget to flip your image horizontally before printing, or use the "print mirror image" setting on your printer.  Although the film clings well to the glass, I covered the surface lightly with a glue stick.  Check out the Craft Attitude website for all kinds of videos and tips on how to work with the film on a whole variety of surfaces. 

 

I positioned my photo with the opening in the block at the bottom so I could place it over an LED tea light at night.  I also glued the bow and embellishments to the top with a 3D glue dot, making it easy to remove at a later time.


This project only took a little over an hour to complete and makes a great holiday accent for your home!  Plus it's a great hostess gift!  So put a little "attitude" into your next crafting project to make it truly personal!

 

Don't forget to check out these other projects from the hop. 



This project is also featured here:
Blog Hop Button Show & Tell: What Are You Crafting For Christmas?

Enjoy!  Y'all come back now..........

Yours truly,
Julie :)



KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON CRAFTING!

2 comments:

  1. Super pretty!! Love this idea Julie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifer! I love being able to design with some of my favourite products. I almost added a decorative painting border, but thought better of it....LOL

    ReplyDelete