Thursday, May 17, 2018

Trim it Up with Expo International

I've got tassels and buttons and trims, oh my!
"Houston we have a problem" - what to make first!

T-shirts and aprons pillows and hats,
Baskets and bags, purses and mats.
Just add some trim, it's easy to do
And soon your old stuff will be looking like new!



This is just a small selection from Expo International and already I'm in creative overload. T-shirts, aprons, hats, pillows - pretty much anything can go from boring to beautiful with the addition of one or two, well-chosen trims.  Here are a few ideas to start with....


You will also need:
Needle and thread
Lo-temp glue gun
Fabric glue
Double sided photo mounting tape
Glue spots
Scissors

Up-cyled Headband:


An old headband had seen better days, but it fit nicely (on my head too), so instead of throwing it away I decided to cover it with lace and trim.  I chose stretch lace, simply because the headband was about 1" wide at the top, but tapered to 1/2" at each end.

1.  Cut the lace to size.


2.  Attach one end of the lace to the end of the headband with a glue spot, then pull over the top and attach to the opposite side. Secure the end.  Because the lace stretches the edges will curl inward.


3.  Adhere the photo mounting tape to the underside of the headband. Remove the cover from the tape then glue the edges of the lace to the tape.


4.  Trim the lace at each end as needed.


5.  Adhere rhinestone trim on top of the lace for some evening sparkle!  



Pillow Pizzaz
Pillows don't have to be plain and boring! 


 Glue, or sew woven braid along the pattern lines for an updated look.  
Note: Dip ends of trim in glue to prevent fraying.


Add a second trim for even more pillow pizzaz and a tassel at each corner!




Summer Bag

Nobody likes a boring bag.  Jazz it up with the same trims used on the pillow, plus 3/8" pom pom trim.

1.  Cut 4 pieces of woven braid trim and 2 pieces of pom pom trim the width of the bag,  Dip ends of trim in fabric glue to prevent fraying.  Sew or glue trim in place as shown.  


2.  Glue the flower, or other complimentary trim on top of the woven braid.



Swag Bag

Glue woven braid trim around the edge of the iron-on vinyl flag for a more finished look.
Note: Dip ends of trim in fabric glue to prevent fraying.



These are just a few ideas to get you started. Check out the other blogs listed below then head back to the Designer Crafts Connection blog to enter to win your own treasure chest of trims!

Beth Watson
Julie McGuffee - You are here!
Designer Crafts Connection

 

Enjoy!  Y'all come back now.......

Yours truly,
Julie

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON CRAFTING!

14 comments:

  1. Love all the creative inspiration, but I think my fave is the transformation of that pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great ideas, where to start first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great ideas. really loved that cute headband on the little bear. that tote is ready for summer

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many wonderful ideas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all of your crafty ideas and especially the beach bag!! I always love the tassels and your bright flower border adds a punch!!! Love them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the combination of the pom pom fringe and the floral! It's fun and flirty. I'm noticing I have only plain pillows that can use something fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not seeing my comment so I'm entering it again.
    I LOVE your Summer bag with the bright rainbow flower trim with the tassels underneath! I want one just like it!!! You are so clever to come up with ALL of these fabulous ideas of the Swag bag, pillows and headband!!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't decide which project I like best, I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! So many great projects Julie! I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG!! WHERE DO I START I LOVE THEM ALL! HAPPY IS WHAT I SEE WHEN LOOKING AT THESE PROJECTS. I LOVE TEDDI'S HEADBAND AND THE TOTE. I LOVE THE UNION JACK BAG ITS READY FOR SATURDAY!!!!! GREAT JOB/LOVE THE IDEAS

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pillows
    you added the trim
    to. Lovely items.
    Carla from Utah

    ReplyDelete
  12. such great ideas, might have to steal that headband one for my daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All such great ideas!! Love Expo Int'l trims!!

    ReplyDelete