Thursday, July 3, 2014

Recycled Grill

The kids came over a few months ago.  It was a gorgeous Spring day, so we decided to grill.

 

Unfortunately the grill did not co-operate and we ended up grilling inside.  The gas grill was pretty old and apparently the burners had a developed a few leaks.  Time for a new grill, I thought and was secretly happy - now I could replace the old gas grill with a charcoal grill.  I like food cooked on a charcoal grill a whole lot better.  I looked at a few grills, but wondered if I couldn't use the grill we already had.   This is what I did:

FIRST THINGS FIRST 
 
REMOVE ANY AND ALL GAS CYLINDERS!  
DISCONNECT AND PUT THEM AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE FROM THE GRILL.

The next step was to remove the trays that covered the burners.  I basically removed anything that was removable.....  
 
 
 
I then placed an old oven tray/cookie sheet on top of the burners
 

 then covered the inside of the grill with heavy duty foil.
  

Following the directions on the bag, I placed the charcoal on the foil covered tray and lit them.

 MAKE SURE YOUR GRILL IS PLACED A GOOD DISTANCE AWAY FROM YOUR HOME. ALWAYS FOLLOW SAFETY PRECAUTIONS WHEN GRILLING. 
  
Once the coals are hot, spread them in an even layer on the tray then put the grill tops back in place and start cooking!


Clean up is easy!  Once the coals have cooled, turned completely to ash and there are no embers still burning, or hot (I wait until the next day), fold the foil up over the ashes and dispose of them in the appropriate manner.



Can't wait to grill hot dogs and burgers tomorrow on my re-cycled grill!  
 
HAVE A HAPPY AND SAFE FOURTH OF JULY !!!   Y'all come back now........

Yours truly,
Julie :)

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON CRAFTING!

No comments:

Post a Comment