Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hail to the Flag it's the Fourth of July!


I’ve found that most folks are unaware that we have a 4th of July in England – we just don’t celebrate…… My hubby and I live outside city limits so we celebrate with fireworks at home and have a great time. We have a tall flagpole in our front yard, so this year my husband is planning to fly the Stars & Stripes at the top and the Union Jack (the British flag) at half mast. I’m not really sure how I feel about that, but I'm a good sport and have offered to have a tea party on the front lawn complete with scones and jam butties. It should certainly amuse the neighbours………. the flag part, not sure about the tea party – way too hot. Can you imagine sending out an invitation to a tea party on July 4th.... I should sign it "Paul Revere". In case you’re wondering, I still drink hot tea in hot weather, it’s amazingly refreshing apart from the fact that I wouldn’t know how to start my day without a morning cuppa.

I have a real hankering to go to the beach again this summer and dip my toes in the ocean. Not likely though at this point. Maybe after I get back from CHA. I love the beach. It brings back many fond childhood memories of sand castles, sea shells and sailing.


There were always donkeys on the beach where we used to go and Punch & Judy puppet shows. The donkeys are still there, but I’m not sure about Punch & Judy; maybe they were censored for being too violent……

In the meantime I'll have to be content with the grandkids' slip'n slide and sand box. There are lots of sandy beach areas at the lakes around here, but lake water just doesn't do it for me. Not sure about the gulf water either at this point. So sad that it takes a tragedy to make us realize how much we depend on our environment and the things we take for granted.

Have a fun and fantastic Fourth!!

Yours truly,
Julie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment