Monday, August 17, 2009

Letterpress Printing

I've been seeing quite a number of articles about Letterpress printing lately. I have to admit that when I saw the letterpress system at the Quickutz booth at CHA, my first question to self was, "why would I want a letterpress system when I can print anything on my computer?" Then I read an article by Joanne Fink in the Design Notes section of the May/June issue of Greetings etc where she defined Letterpress printing as an "affordable luxury". Joanne went on to say, "Letterpress printing, which makes a deep impression in the paper, provides a unique, almost three-dimensional appearance - adding appeal and value to numerous types of stationery-related merchandise." Joanne seems to have answered my question perfectly. Invitations, etc printed on the computer look as if they've been printed on the computer. Although we love to be creative and make things ourselves, we still strive for elegance, excellence and quality. We don't necessarily want the items we create to look as if we've made them. As the paper crafting industry continues to develop, we will continue to look for a certain amount of uniqueness in our creativity even if it means reverting to techniques developed in the 15th century.

Quickutz's Letterpress system is designed to work with the Epic 6 die cutting machine. For more information, availability, etc check it out at their website, www.lifestylecraft.com.

Yours truly,
Julie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment