Monday, January 10, 2011

Mad Monday Menu!


I don't know what it is about Mondays, but whether you have a 9 to 5 job, or are retired, it's always a crazy day.  One of my biggest challenges is "what to cook for dinner" - and not just on Mondays.  Like a lot of my projects, meals have to be Quick'n EZ and tasty!  I'm sure I'm not the only one who is "menu impaired", so I thought I'd share some of my successes and maybe you'll share yours.  So..... without further ado, here's my first suggestion.

TACO SOUP........  yum

Cook *frozen chicken tenders in enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a large skillet with a lid. 
*I use frozen, because then I don't have to remember to take things out of the freezer that morning.  The number of chicken tenders will depend on how many of you there are.
Heat the oil then add the tenders.  They will spit and sputter away so put the lid on quickly.  Turn the heat down just a tad to Med High.  Carefully lift the lid and turn them over.  Because they're frozen, they'll produce a lot of moisture.  Turn the heat down to low and cook until they are cooked through - about 20 mins.  Remove the lid then cut the chicken into small pieces.  I do it right in the pan.  Add one packet of Taco seasoning mix.  You can use Chicken Taco mix, original or mild.  I use mild, or chicken.  Following directions on the package add Chicken broth instead of water.  Let simmer for 1-2 mins then add the following:  One can each of rinsed Pinto Beans, Garbanzo Beans (chick peas), Corn and one can of **diced tomatoes w/garlic and onion.  Stir, then add additional chicken broth.  If I'm cooking soup for 4-6 of us, I transfer to a large saucepan at this point so I can add more chicken broth and beans.  Black beans are great in this soup as well as Cannellini beans, etc.  Simmer for 5-10 mins.  Serve in a soup bowl then add regular Frito chips, grated cheese (Mozzarella works well or the Mexican mix), a dollop of sour cream and chopped avocado.  **You can substitute diced tomatoes with Rotel if you like extra spicey food, or add both.  As you can see there are a lot of variables with this recipe.  Guten Appetit!  Y'all come back now..........

Yours truly,
Julie :)  

1 comment: