April 22nd is Earth Day!
Earth day is the day when we're reminded to be kind and considerate to the planet we call home and to do our part to protect it as much as possible. This little bee project is an easy to make reminder, that even the tiniest of creatures has a BIG part to play too!
You will need:
- Kunin® Classic™ 9” x 12” Craft Cuts – 1 each Lemon Frost, yellow, white and black
- Joy® Iron-on embroidered Classic Monograms letter sheet – black
- Glue gun & lo-temp glue sticks
- Quilt pins
- Empty water bottle
- Artificial flower stem with leaves
- Paper shreds
- 12” jute
- Cricut® Maker™ with Rotary blade (optional)
Step One – Make the Bee
1. Cut two, ½” wide strips of black felt. Fold one end over about ¼” then roll the strip around about 4 times to form a cone shape. Trim the end and glue to secure.
2. With edges even, coil the second strip of black felt until it is large enough to tuck sideways into the bottom of the cone. Glue the end then glue the coiled felt inside the bottom of the cone.
NOTE: Steps are created with yellow felt in order to show the process.
3. Cut a 5/8” wide strip of yellow felt then wrap once over the center. Trim the length then glue the ends in place.
NOTE: The felt colors in the step out photos above are inverted to show the process.
4. Cut a ¼” wide strip of black felt then wrap around the center on top of the yellow to finish.
Step Two – Make the Flower
1. Cut seven, 11” x ½” strips of white felt. Cut 2” from one end of each piece and set aside. Fold the end of the remaining 9” strip over about ½” then coil the strip around to form an oval “petal”. Glue the end. Make 7 “petals”.
2. To make the center of the flower, tightly roll a ½” x 11” strip of lemon frost. Glue the end in place then wrap twice with of a ½” strip of yellow. Trim then glue the end. Gently push the center outward a little to create a more rounded look.
3. Arrange, then glue the “petals” around the center. Fold the 2” pieces of felt in half. Glue the ends together then glue one loop between each of the petals.
4. Cut 6, 1” slivers of black felt for the bees legs. Position on the flower then glue the bee on top. Glue the top of the stem to the back of the flower.
Step Three – Assemble
Cut the top off the empty bottle about 4” from the bottom. Wrap with a 4” wide strip of yellow felt. Trim to fit then glue a 2” wide strip of black across the center. Remove the letters from the sheet to write SAVE A BEE and PLANT (or GROW) FLOWERS. Glue in place then wrap around the bottle. Overlap the ends at the back then glue. Wrap jute around the center as shown. Place the top of the bottle upside-down in the “pot”. This will help to keep the flower stem upright. Add the flower stem then fill with paper shreds.
*For best results, use a Cricut® Maker, if you have one, to cut even strips of felt. If not, you can use a craft knife against a metal edge ruler, or simply cut with scissors. Enjoy!
KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON CRAFTING