Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day are all good times for family BBQs and picnics. Celebrate your patriotism in style with etched mason jars for perfect party table decorations!
You will need: etchall® dip’n etcH • etchall® etchmask • etchall® Pik Tool • etchall® Squeegee
Mason Jars, Quart (with smooth sides)
Star Punch, Small
Empty soda bottle
1. Cut the top off the soda bottle and set aside to use as a funnel. Rinse the bottle thoroughly.
2. Wash the outside of each mason jar with hot, soapy water. Rinse with vinegar to remove any remaining residue.
3. To create the star border, use a lever punch to punch stars at equal intervals along the bottom edge of a sheet of etchmask. Punch upside down so you can see the guidelines on the back of the etchmask. NOTE: Do not discard the punched stars. You can use these on another jar.
4. Use a paper trimmer, or craft knife and ruler, to cut the strip from the sheet, making sure that the star opening is centered between the top and bottom edges. Cut 3 strips plus additional strips as needed to go all the way around the jar.
5. To determine how much dip’n etch you will need, fill the mason jar with glass pebbles, or heavy items (so it won’t float) then place the jar inside the soda bottle. Fill the soda bottle with water up to the rim of the mason jar.
6. Remove the mason jar and the water level will sink. Place a piece of masking tape on the outside of the soda bottle then mark the water level. Empty the water then dry the inside of the soda bottle and the outside of the mason jar thoroughly.
8. Fill the soda bottle with dip’n etch up to the water level mark then gently place the mason jar into the liquid. The dip’n etch will rise to the rim of the jar.
9. Let stand for 15 minutes then carefully remove the jar. Rinse the mason jar thoroughly under warm, running water, or in a plastic bucket then remove the strips of etchmask.
DO NOT rinse over a porcelain sink!
This is etching liquid and it will permanently remove the glaze from porcelain! Please read all cautions and directions on the dip’n etch container.
10. Dry the outside of the jar and remove the glass pebbles to reveal the etched design.
11. If you would like to etch additional designs, adhere the stars to a second jar and ½” wide strips of etchmask to a third for a perfect patriotic trio. Simply place each one in the same dip’n etch (one at a time) and follow the directions above. etchall dip’n etch is reusable, so there is no need to replace it after each use.
12. When you have finished etching all your jars, use the top of the soda bottle as a funnel to return the dip’n etch to its original container to be used for more projects!
KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON CRAFTING!
etchall products were provided by B&B Products