Thursday, June 22, 2017

Bible Journaling with SRM Faith Stamps

Designer Crafts Connection members are hopping with SRM this week.  Each of us received complimentary product to see what we would create.  Some designers received product to use in Planners and I received a stamp for bible journaling.

 
It's pretty obvious that I didn't use the stamp for bible journaling.....  I guess  I'm just old fashioned that way.  I make notes in my bible, but I can't bring myself to decorate the already beautiful verses.  I love the faith based stamps though and decided to use them for a decorative accent in my guest, half bath where they can speak to anyone who stops by.  If you'd like to give it a try, here's what I used  and what I did.
You will need:

SRM Faith clear stamp
5"x7" Frame
StazOn® White Opaque Ink
Clear acrylic block
Rinea® paper foil - Gold

    

1. Remove the glass from the frame then wash with hot water and a little dish soap.  Rinse and dry thoroughly with a soft cloth.

2. This step is optional.  You can use the glass as is, of course, but I love to create outside the box and thought it would be cool to give the glass a mottled effect as shown below:

   

3.  For this step you will need a small jar of etchall® etching créme. Don't let the idea of glass etching prevent you from trying this - it is SO easy.  Barbee at etchall sent me product to work with over 20 years ago and I've been etching ever since.  Place the glass on a work surface then put a plastic spoonful of the créme onto a disposable plate. Using a sea sponge (because it's nice an airy), dab the créme onto the surface of the glass.  Leave for 15 minutes.


NOTE:  etchall créme is reusable, so normally you would scrape the créme back into the container after 15 minutes, but this method uses so little just wash it off under running water over a NON-porcelain sink, or rinse off in bucket.  This is an etching product and will remove the glaze from porcelain, china, granite, etc. even slate.   When you first receive an unopened bottle of cream, it will be white, but after a while, and many uses, it will turn brown as you can see in my photo. The color does not affect how it works.

4.  Wash and dry the etched glass so we can start stamping.   Remove the carrier sheet with the line art and place it on a work mat facing upwards as shown.

 

5.  With the wording centered, place the glass with the etched side face down on top of the carrier sheet. 

6.  If you have a large acrylic block, it is possible to stamp all the words at once, but the ink dries very quickly, so I chose to do this part one phrase/word at a time using the carrier sheet under the glass as a guide for placement.  

 

7.  I purchased white ink for this project because I knew that it works on glass, but - remember I said I like to think outside the box?  If you know me at all, or have watched me on TV, you'll know that I love to try different things - it's all part of being creative.....  so let me share this.  I painted the frame around a bathroom mirror yesterday with white chalk paint.  I'm sure you've heard that chalk paint sticks to everything so can you guess where I'm going with this?  Yep I did some experimenting and chalk paint worked great for stamping!  I dipped a sponge brush into the paint, then dabbed it on some wax paper to spread the paint evenly on the brush, then dabbed paint onto the stamp.  I haven't got to the part of cleaning the stamp yet, but chalk paint cleans up with water so, as long as you don't leave it on too long, I would think it will be okay.   BTW, if you mess up with the stamping,  StazOn can be removed from the glass with rubbing alcohol. Not sure if it should be used to clean the stamps, but really don't see why not. Okay, I've digressed enough, let's move on to the next step.

8.  After you've finished stamping, place the glass in the frame.  Cut a piece of gold paper foil to size (I used gold, but there are other colors to choose from) then place behind the glass. Add the frame back, secure and you're done.



Now it's time to head over to the DCC blog to see what the other designers have done.  Enjoy!  Y'all come back now..... 

Yours truly,
Julie :)

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON CRAFTING!

7 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful!! I am inspired to make a few of these for gifts and myself, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this project Julie! It is so beautiful. Wonderful idea to use the complete stamp to create a framed home decor piece.

    Thanks for featuring SRM on your blog hop. What a talented group of ladies you have!

    XO,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful project! Love the idea of placing the carrier sheet under the glass as a guide - thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely, inspirational project. this can be a nice gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your project! Your little angel prop is the perfect accent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your project. amazing grace... I understand about the making notes in the bible(me too) I can't draw or decorate in my bible-It's pretty But!!!(nothing old fashioned about that).

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an inspiring use of the stamps and the etchall. Beautiful project.

    ReplyDelete