Monday, November 2, 2015

Handmade Gifts

'Tis the season for gift giving and nothing says, "I was thinking about you", more than a gift that you made yourself.  When thinking about what to give, it's important to consider what you do best.  For example, I can do all kinds of things: knit, crochet, sew, embroidery, jewelry, sing - no not really, but my family and friends who really know me, know that I love to paint. I'm not what someone would consider to be an artist, by any stretch of the imagination, but I do love decorative painting with emphasis on the "decorative" part. In fact, my first book, published in the early 90's was Basic Steps to Painting. It was the first of many of my books to feature both decorative and craft painting skills and my goal in each one, was not to show how well I could paint, but to show others that they could paint too.  I was all about teaching techniques, so that others could be successful.

I've had a lot of projects featured in books and magazines over the past 25 years or so and I've kept a few favorites packed away in boxes, until the holiday season rolls around each year.  Here are some glass ornaments I've painted for friends and family over the years


  

and a wine glass and plate from one of my books, Garden of Glassware, published by Leisure Arts.
 
  

This is the base of the wine glass. One of my favorite techniques is to paint on the front and the back of the glass pieces.


If you're wondering why I'm sharing things I've painted in the past, it's to whet your appetite for a project I'll be posting on Saturday, Nov 7th as part of the annual Handmade Holidays Blog Hop. I think you'll enjoy the one I'm working on now - I promise it will be something you can do too!

Y'all come back now.........

Yours truly,
Julie :)

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON CRAFTING!


4 comments:

  1. These are such gorgeous projects! I especially love the ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. They were always a big hit at craft shows - another lifetime ago :)

      Delete
  2. I love these projects, Julie! Those projects will never go out of style. Elegant and lovely! Looking forward to seeing what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn. That's the nice thing about decorative painting, it never changes.... only the painter.... LOL

      Delete