Monday, May 17, 2010

Wichita - Here I Come!


Not exactly the most exciting place on earth unless one's name is Dorothy... It is however, where the Society of Decorative Painters is holding its annual convention this year. And, it's within driving distance, so I don't have to worry about "sky high" airfares.

I've always loved to paint. I'm not an artist, just a decorative painter, but I've taught more than my share of people who thought they couldn't paint, to paint (including my mum). I showed some easy painting techniques at the CHA Super Show in Anaheim, in January and really enjoyed it, so, as you can imagine, I'm kinda looking forward to going to this show. I used to go every year, but life got busy and decorative painting took a back seat. My last book for Leisure Arts was a decorative painting book, Garden of Glassware, and I have to admit that it was my favorite. I love painting on glass - no prep! And, it's very forgiving.

Decorative painting, or Folk Art, is all about technique. Folk Art is very aptly named, because it is art created by Folk. That is, normal, every day people like me and you. I painted nursery furniture for my first grandchild a few years ago and it was so much fun! This is the Armoire and a close-up of the door panels.



The furniture was originally my daughter's, but we upcycled it with a new coat of paint and by adding the artwork to the doors. I did a lot of painting in the late '80s. I sold items at area craft shows and at a local Craft Mall. And that's how I came to write my first book - Basic Steps to Painting, which was published by Design Originals. A lot has happened since then - all good.

I won't blog from the show, but I will take lots of photos to post when I get back on Friday, so check back with me then. Hopefully there won't be any photos of tornadoes - we have to drive up tornado alley to get there. Yikes..... See ya! Maybe on a "fly by".

Yours truly,
Julie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment