Friday, June 12, 2015

Ann Butler Designs



DCC members have two challenges this month.  Our first challenge is using Background Basics rubber stamps and ColorBox Crafts inks from Ann Butler Designs. Ann's designs are perfect for creating faux quilt projects and the inks are perfect to use on fabric as well as other surfaces.

Each designer received 6 colors of inks and a variety of the Background Basics stamps, which are either square or triangular in shape.  For my project, I also used JOY dyeable letters and rick rack trim from Decorative Trimmings; products left over from previous challenges this year.


For this challenge I created a gift that keeps on giving.  I had a small bag and decided to add a monogram.  I stamped the background pattern onto a separate piece of fabric then frayed the edges for additional texture.  Hope you can see how even the stamped pattern is.  I placed the fabric on a hard surface then after inking the stamp I positioned it on top of the fabric.  Instead of using my fingers or hand to apply pressure (I didn't mount the stamp because they are very sturdy) I used the domed lid from the stamp pad and rocked it back and forth across the back of the stamp.  Not sure how correct it is to do it this way, but it worked well for me.....

I also colored the letter with the same ink by pressing the ink pad onto the letter while it was still attached to it's backing then I adhered it to the center of the fabric square with glue.  (Easier than getting the iron out.)  I used narrow tacky tape to attach the rick rack around the edge and to attach the finished monogram square to the bag.  Voilà, I now have a small monogrammed gift bag......


For more inspiration, hop thru the webring using the blue DCC logo in my sidebar, then check out the DCC Blog for even more designer ideas.  Enjoy!  Y'all come back now.......

Yours truly,

Julie :)

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON CRAFTING!

1 comment: