Sunday, October 6, 2013

Halloween Crafts

It's Halloween and it's party time, so I thought I'd share a little rhyme
About ghoulies and ghosties, witches and bats,
Jack'O Lanterns, monsters and scary black cats.

Now on Halloween we go trick or treat, we think it's fun and we think it's neat,
To get lots of cookies and candy too,
That sticks to our teeth like Elmer's glue.

A jack O'Lantern is a scary sight, but he's just an old pumpkin with his insides alight
Sitting on the doorstep, grinning, all aglow
A home for a soul with nowhere to go.

So when you're out on the thirty first, with a bag full of goodies that is fixing to burst.
Look over your shoulder and all about
'Cos take it from me you'd better watch out!

My daughter had to perform a Halloween rap for her class in 1987, so I wrote this for her.  It was quite a bit longer back then, but don't want to bore you to death...... even if it is Halloween.... lol

I have to admit that I struggle with Halloween.  Growing up in England it wasn't something that was celebrated by anyone except satanists and witches covens. In many European countries, it was, and still is all about November 1st, All Saints Day.  I do however, realize the commercial value of celebrating this "holiday".  After all, Halloween craft supply sales are second only to Christmas. 

As I've said before, if it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done, so here I am at the last minute designing something to share and of course it's EZPZ Quick'n EZ.


I basically painted an 8.5" x 11" sheet of Smoothfoam with yellow acrylic craft paint (no prep needed) then printed the artwork onto a piece of Craft Attitude printable film.  It's very easy, but make sure you read the directions included in the package.  The most important thing to remember is that you place the film printed side down, so you have to print a "mirror image" of any clip art you use - very important if you include words.  You can also print on self adhesive ink jet transparency, which doesn't have to be reversed, so, if you use my clip art, you'll have to print it on a "mirror image" setting.  Once the image is in place, I dinged up the upper edges of the foam with the handle of a sponge brush, then painted the edges with DecoArt® black Patio paint.  Patio paint leaves a really cool shiny finish.   I added a black glitter bow and ribbon tails, as shown and it now hangs in the hallway...... at my daughter's.   You can find detailed instructions and a list of supplies on the Smoothfoam® blog.  You can also download a FREE pdf of my design there if you don't have one of your own to use. 

 

Had to share these votives again.  Découpaging the printed layer of a napkin onto glass is a favorite technique of mine for all reasons and seasons.  You can find the instructions for these here:  http://juliemcguffee.blogspot.com/2011/10/halloween-votives.html

Happy Halloween everyone!  Y'all come back now..........

Yours truly,
Julie :)

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON CRAFTING!

1 comment: