Sunday, August 2, 2009

CHA - Craft & Hobby Show in Orlando





After a great deal of frustration yesterday I thought I'd give Blogspot a whirl, so here's my newest, new blog........


Let's start with news about the CHA show. Up to this year the show has always been in Chicago so it felt a little strange to be getting on a plane to Orlando. Let's face it though, the inside of one convention center is pretty much like every other. This one, however was much darker than the ones I've been to in the past. This show was also much smaller. The Winter shows are probably 5 or 6 times larger, maybe more - all I know is, that it takes me 4 days to see almost everything at a winter show - and I do mean everything. This one was only a 3 day show. We taped segments for a new series of Scrapbook Memories on Thursday, so I only had Tuesday and Wednesday to walk around, but it was plenty of time to see everything without feeling rushed.

Trade shows are fabulous. The
booth displays are just amazing and totally inspiring. The best thing about a smaller show, is that there's more time to spend at each booth, so you can really see what's new and fabulous and there was a lot. I saw more Vintage elements than in the past especially at Making Memories. Here's a photo of Graphic 45 to give you an idea.



Tattered Angels
had fabulous displays and there was always a buzz around their booth. Birds are the new butterfly when it comes to images, but anything with wings seems to be popular as well as wings on their own.
Here are some photos from the Tattered Angels booth. Wendy Sanger, in the photos below, is the owner and creative force behind this company. They first exhibited about 2 years ago in one 10' x 10' booth. Now their booth is huge. We taped a Scrapbook Memories segment there on Thursday.





Nikki Sivils was exhibiting her line of scrapbooking supplies for the first time. She had the cutest cupcake for her Make It/Take It (MITI). You can see more at her blog @http://nikkisdoghouse.blogspot.com. I'm sincerely hoping she'll be able to be a guest on the next series of Scrapbook Memories. She's so adorable, just like her products and I know you'll love to meet her. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :) This is Nikki and her husband in their booth. What a great guy! He gave up his job as a lawyer to help Nikki with her business. He also tapes every Scrapbook Memories show!



There were a few new tools at the show. Sizzix debuted their new embossing tool. It's fabulous! It's only for embossing, not cutting, and it looks like a little purse. Believe me, there's money in it for those of you who sell your paper crafting projects! You should try it with color core cardstock from Core'dinations. Julianna Hudgins is the spokesperson for Sizzix and she was busy all the time showing hundreds of people how it works. We taped a segment for the show with her, so you'll be able to see it on Scrapbook Memories, but in the meantime, I'm sure there's information on the Sizzix website and probably a video on YouTube. You can see the new machine at the bottom left corner of the photo on the right below.



Quickutz featured their new letter press system! It's totally awesome. Letter Press printing is so classy looking. Sorry I don't have photos, but I didn't have my camera while I was at their booth and didn't have time to go back. Yes, I know, I could have used my phone, but that means I'd have to learn how to download photos off my phone! I'm sure it's as easy as blogging with photos, but you know the challenges I've had with that. I'm sure you can see it at their website, quickutz.com and probably on YouTube. At least you now know to look for it, right? We R Memory Keepers introduced Corner Chompers at the show. These are for adding decorative corners to thicker materials like chipboard. There are 6 or 8, designs. I also saw that they had a new rotary paper trimmer with a great selection of decorative edge cartridges.

Kaisercraft exhibited at the show again. It's an Australian company with great products. I love their shaped albums and they have a lot of wood surfaces for everyday creativity. Melissa is the owner of the company, but you can always find her at the MITI table. She's so passionate about what she does, people love being around her. Their catalog is about 1/2" thick, because it's also a great idea book!



The industry has changed so much over the past years and nothing has had greater impact than the internet and social networking. For example, this is the first time I've carried a camera on the show floor. I've still asked permission to take photos of booths (old habits die hard), but up until just recently, photography was strictly forbidden. Now the exhibitors love to see photos of their products and projects on blogs and websites.

For all Heidi Grace and Cloud 9 fans, Colorbok is now selling their papers and embellishments. I went by their booth and saw Heidi. She is so excited to be back!



I also saw Susan McShirley and Laura at SRM Stickers. Susan has a new calendar kit that will be available soon and other new ideas in the works. I also stopped by My Little Shoebox to see Helen and Suzy.



Core'dinations had a great booth at the show. All their papers were on display with vignettes to feature new paper packs. This is great paper to use with your new Sizzix Embossing machine, or Spellbinders embossing and cutting dies.



There was a lot of excitement at the Spellbinders booth at this summer. Spellbinders won an innovation award for their new medallion dies. Here's a photo of the award.



Stacey Caron and husband Jeff, founded this company about 8 or 9 years ago. They have worked so hard to bring the Wizard and their dies to the marketplace, I'm really thrilled for them to get the recognition they so rightly deserve. The dies are truly unique in that they both cut and emboss. Stacey fractured her arm a few weeks before the show and has been a little "out of sorts" since she wasn't able to demo, but I'm sure this award was the perfect thing to give her spirits the exact boost she needed.





Fancy Pants had a fun display of their Kraft Paper line and



I always stop at Nunn Design. Becky Nunn has a line of Patera and other jewelry items. Patera are like small, shallow dishes so photos (or anything) can be added then covered with resin. I showed a patera project on a recent series of Scrapbook Memories. Finished items can be pendants, earrings, rings, or even ornaments. Becky now has a new resin, which forms a clear dome. Everything you need for this comes in a kit. See up close at www.nunndesign.com



Quick Quotes always has an impressive booth at the shows. This is another manufacturer that combines project ideas with their catalog. Here's a photo of Michelle, who was a guest on the last series of Scrapbook Memories and Andy - they guy who makes it all happen.





There was a lot of hootin and hollerin from the Provo Craft booth this time to introduce the Gypsy. I may be over simplifying what it is by saying it's a remote control for the Cricut. You definitely need to Google this one to get all the details. Purple monster not included........



Just two more photos and I'm signing off for a while. Here's Webster's Pages booth and Pink Paislee. Don't you just love, love, love those snowmen!! Webster's Pages has magnetic frames which I just love. Check out their website at www.websterspages.com for a ton of inspiration, especially for Home Dec projects and ideas.



This is only a smidgeon of what could be seen at the show. If I had taken photos of every booth and every thing in every booth, I'd still be there and it would have taken me a week to write about it all. I hope it's give you a taste of what a trade show is all about. I have been to every one for the past 20 years and wouldn't miss them for anything!

Yours truly,
Julie :)